4.12.2008

"Do'h"

So yesterday i got a call from the dentist's office reminding me of my scheduled visit today @ 8:30am, ugh. The good news, my teeth are fantastic. I don't have any problems with any of them, and after the successful removal of ALL my wisdom teeth (in one day), the wounds healed amazingly well.

The bad news: my gums are in bad shape. apparently after 26 years of poor hygiene (duh) and 5 years of off and on smoking, you may as well call me this guy:


Yikes. If you are unfamiliar with this early Simpsons character, his name is "Bleeding Gums Murphy."

The only differences between he and i at this point are: 1)i'm 3 dimensional, 2)i have five fingers per hand, and 3)i can't play sax worth a damn. Given those factors working AGAINST me, i think it's high time i took an active approach to fixing my dental problems.

But hold on, how did this start? well i guess from a young age i never really cared about the importance of a healthy mouth. My mother was too busy with her own problems to worry about whether or not i had brushed my teeth the entire time i was in the bathroom. Maybe she figured a vegetarian diet was enough to keep me healthy and strong. Only now am i beginning to realize that being a vegetarian doesn't mean you're healthy. You have to be even more careful which foods you eat in order to ensure a that you receive all the nutrients necessary.

So now i've got to be an *sigh* ADULT and figure out the best way to tackle this. i think i'll start by hitting Whole Foods and seeing what kind of dietary supplements they have that might promote healthy gums. and i've got to floss twice a day, or my dentist will slap me on the wrist and my teeth will fall out.

I hate having to fess up to my own inadequacies.

On a lighter note, my band, Bikini Science has a show tonight at the Studio Suite to all those interested. It's free and it's our new drummer's first show. I asked Mr. Murphy (above) if he'd be interested in playing along for a song or two at the show, but he said, "Nah man, I'm dead. Didn't you ever watch the Simpsons?"

See you there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um...you're also white, dude. just saying. :p

Jon Morrow said...

i think the joke mr. reverend is that i didn't go with one of the most obvious. and yes, i realize my being white does not play in my favor.

Hung said...

You and me both. My teeth and gums are in terrible shape, and I don't smoke. I'm totally dreading my next dentists visit because...uh...it's been a while and my teeth are nasty. I mean THUG nasty.