6.15.2008

We gonna rock down to Electric Avenue.

So about a month ago i was pretty dead set on purchasing a motorcycle of some sort to get me to and from work. Given the high gas prices and the fact that the only person in my car when i go to work is me, i figured this was a no brainer. I'd save money on gas, I'd be wasting less space, and I'd probably get to work faster. Then I thought to myself, you know, if i could convert that motorcycle to an electric one, i bet I'd save even more money, and I'd have less of an impact on the environment, especially after reading this article in the LA Times.

So i started my research and boy was i surprised. Not only are people doing this all over the world, but several here in Los Angeles. This website probably solidified this as something i could/should do.

Now, to those of you who say, "But Jon, what do you know about electrical wiring?" I say, "More than you think." And to those of you that say, "What about people not hearing you on the road, is this safe?" I say, "Yes, the electric motor on the bike, because it's not enclosed, is actually quite loud."

After reading several articles and e-mailing some people who've done this already, i decided to see one for myself. If you clicked the link that goes to the EValbum website then you've already seen the one i saw. It belongs to a guy named Jeff who lives in Burbank. I met him and his fellow electric motorcycle rider at the Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake. I must have talked with them for at least an hour and both of them are going to help me with anything i need. Jeff even has a controller he'll sell me.

So why not let someone else do this? Because I've finally found something i can do to reduce MY carbon footprint. And i want lead by example. I'm tired of waiting for the rest of the world to accommodate my wants and needs. This is something i can do for myself and i feel so passionately about it that after I'm done, I'll help any of YOU who want to do it as well.

What about waiting for someone to just manufacture an electric motorcycle and then buying it from them? This year someone finally did that, and they cost $11,000. I could make one myself, and feel more accomplished about it, for a fraction of that cost.

Now if you want some figures, here ya go. After all is said and done, I'd spend about 1 cent a mile. At the moment, with my car, which gets about 25 mpg, i spend about 18 cents a mile (at current fuel prices). The money spent on the bike to power it comes from my electric bill, which the power of electricity is rising at a much more reasonable rate than gasoline. So basically it would cost me $2.50 to go 250 miles. Where as now it costs me $45 to go that same distance. Isn't that fucking incredible?!!

Now some more numbers. I'll have to buy the bike out of pocket because i can't trade in my car. I still need it for things like driving to band practice with all my gear. So i need a bike that has a straight frame, and wheels, that's it. I can purchase a non-functioning bike for around $500. The cost of the conversion is around $2,000. So given the amount of money I'll save, it will only take me 18 months to recoup the cost of the bike, and start saving some serious money. Why wouldn't you do this?!

Till next time!

No comments: